Trustee Ann Hagell writes:

Kilmorey Mausoleum is an extraordinary place.  It was built by the 2nd Earl of Kilmorey in 1854 in memory of his mistress and life partner, Priscilla.  He moved it with his household several times before landing at Gordon House in Twickenham.  Here he made a tunnel to the mausoleum and it is said that, dressed in white and laid in his coffin, he would get his servants to push him on a trolley down the tunnel for practise.  Scroll for more and click below for slideshow

View this post on Instagram

🎄 more pics from our fantastic Christmas at Kilmorey event 🎅 #fundraiser #charity #local #history #christmas ❄

A post shared by Environment Trust (@environmenttrust) on

Gordon House is no longer there, but the mausoleum is the responsibility of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames.  The Environment Trust helps to maintain the grounds.  And how better to celebrate our affection for these gardens than to cover them in fairy lights and tree baubles.  It is a wonderful secret place, very Frances Hodgson Burnett-ish, shut for most of the year, all overgrown in the corners.  It looked magical dressed for Christmas on a dark clear evening! 

We had mulled wine, children singing carols, Father Christmas in his grotto, and crafts for sale.  It was a first for us, but one that we’re keen to do again.  We always get lots of visitors on the rare occasions when Kilmorey can be opened to the public, and it’s clear there’s huge interest in this Twickenham curiosity.  With more funding, we’d love to be able to open it more.